Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The next day

I woke up this morning and half expected to see a familiar face at his usually spot in front of his water bucket waiting for me to bring him his breakfast. It has been somewhere around 14 years of his usually habits, things seem kind empty without Shenango here.... So, I don't know. Just different.

His body was picked up and removed today. I'm glad that they came so quickly. I hate emotional drag-ons :( Its funny though. In the 15+ plus years we have owned horses, we always knew in the back of our heads somewhere that we would eventually face the death of one of our animals. But I guess your never really prepared. I think we were very fortunate to have gone so long without experiencing a loss.

There's a first time for everything. I just wish it didn't have to be Shenango. Losing him by far hurts the worst.

3 comments:

  1. When you think about all the deaths we have had around the "farm", Cats, many cats, Dogs, Chickens, Sheep, etc. The horse by far was the hardest to deal with. I would say, Clancy was a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I would say clancy was harder. At least Shenango's death was quick. No suffering or agonizing on our part.

    ReplyDelete