Wednesday, December 7, 2011

So you want to buy a horse...? Part 1

This post is deticated to all the people out there who love horses, and so far haven't made that leap into owning one of their own. Just read and consider this.

I have grown up with horses around or in my backyard most of my life. I consider myself MEGA-super blessed to be one of the few kids who's dreams of horses become reality before the age of 30. Not everything was flowers and sunshine in my life with my first horse;  however, and I will have to admit here that there were many cold nights where I opened and closed the backdoor loudly and hid in the pump room to make my parents think I had gone out to do my chores.

The fact is that most who love, handle, and even ride these amazing animals dont really know what owning one entails. I was one of the kids who knew, and I was overwhelmed with the responsibility. In fact, if your one of those parents who has a kid who is SO completely in love with horses and begs you for a pony ever day, I suggest you send your child to work on a farm for their lessons. It just may cure them! (But then again, it may backfire and make them even more determined to have one.)

Having the opportunity to work with horses and ride everyday, I can say that this is the most rewarding life I could imagine for myself. I want everyone to have the same joy and satisfaction that I get from FINALLY hitting that right lead, or jumping higher than I have before, or seeing a horse be rehabilitated beyond my expectations, or the daily smell of dirt, leather and horse. But the truth is that it comes at a very high cost. And that cost isn't for everyone.

Now, in case I broke anyone poor child's heart just now, fear not! All I mean to say is that if you are serious about owning your own horse, you better be ready to get down and dirty. Your very own horse will come with a hungry belly and lots of waste for you to clean up. He needs exercise everyday, training sessions to stay on top of his game, oh! and dont forget, you'll need to take lessons to make sure you and your horse are understanding each other, and practice what you've learned on your own time. On top of all that, you'll need to take time to do some fun things with your horse like trail rides, outings and maybe some shows.

Still in for the long haul? Ok, be prepared for lots of expenses, like tack, tools, trimmings, feed and hay, vet care, shots, deworming, and emergencies. (Yes, emergencies. Plan for them!)

If you've taken all this in stride, then you might be ready to buy your first horse! Like I said, alot of responsibility! But on the upside - if your not passed out on the floor yet - there are alot of good things to horse ownership. I won't get into them today. You'll want to read Part II for more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment