Friday, December 9, 2011

So you want to buy a horse...? Part II

As you may have read in Part I of my equine rantings, owning horses (or even just one horse) is fraught with responsibility and expense. So what is it that makes owning a horse so irresistable?

I have tons of time to think about these life mysteries as I sit for the 11th day, keeping the couch warm, so I'll share some of my thoughts with you. I have compiled what I believe to be the top 3 reasons I cannot get enough horse. For some of you, these may not apply. But these are my reasons.

1. Epicness. No one can deny that horses are grand! They are the most powerful, yet graceful and majestic creatures God ever thought of. If your like me and you like those dramatic, adventurous tales with heroes and villians, of good vs. evil or some kind of battle for freedom or justice, you know they almost alway have horses in them! You know, the bad guy rides a slick black horse with red eyes that is beautiful but terrible; and the good guy rides the white horse, who is equally strong and beautiful, but with a goodness in his eyes that is heroic. You know what I mean! Horses are - for no other term - EPIC!

2. Companionship. The bond you build with a horse when you work with it on a daily basis is amazing. Horses do not naturally bond with humans like dogs and cats do. Their herd instincts are incredibly strong, combined with the fact they have a strong innate need to protect themselves. It takes time to build trust and create that bond with your horse to where they will perform those tasks for you that seem unnatural to them. When you feel that bond of trust, it's just COOL!

3. Accomplishment. No one who has ridden a horse more than few times can deny that getting a horse to understand what you want them to do and respect your commands is not an easy task! There are many details you must remember and you have to ask clearly, precisely and consistently. It takes work to get good at it. As you learn, you will find that not only are you getting better at riding, but you understand more about your horse and how to handle it.

Well, maybe these aren't THE ONLY reasons I love horses, but these are what came to my mind. You may have more... feel free to comment on your own reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment