Friday, January 14, 2011

This morning's wake up call

There I was in my bed, deeply dreaming of being denied an interview for a translating job at IR, when my mom's voice broke into the scene. It was one of those moments where it wouldn't have mattered that she called my name, except for the way she called my name. My brain has been trained to receive a certain message every time my name is spoken in that foreboding tone. What ever happy dream I may be in, what ever nightmare; all of it is cancelled and I'm instantly awake.

That is what happened this morning. My heart jumped within my dream and the mean interview lady in front of me disappeared and that voice instantly told me the one thing that I dread hearing: a horse is out of the fence. All she said was my name, but before my mind even left the dream, I knew. One of my horses was out, and someone besides me found it first.

The next instant I was scraping myself off the bed, my dreams having been replaced by visions of horses running across the road, cars careening out of control, people running and screaming, mothers clutching their crying children, police and ambulances and fire truck sirens.... ok, I know that's a little dramatic, but the next moment, I was stumbling down the stairs pulling a hoodie over my pj's. I heard no sirens or screaming outside, so my heart slowed a little.

I headed out into the early morning chill just a minute later. All was quiet except for the children walking down the road to catch the bus. Phew. No police yet. As I walked past the barn towards the shed, I saw the culprit standing behind the neighbor's house - Rapunzel. You again. 


I opened the gate and she followed me back in. Not exactly the wildest escapee I've ever chased down the street.... but hopefully those days are over. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment